The Levelling Up and Regeneration Bill receives royal assent
On 26th October 2023, the government announced that the Levelling Up and Regeneration Bill (LURB) had received royal assent – making it the Levelling Up and Regeneration Act.
The Levelling up and Regeneration Bill was first published in May 2022 and it put forward a number of proposals seeking to change the planning system. Since then, the proposals have been subject to much debate and alteration and the final version was agreed last week.
Whilst agreed, many of the provisions of the Act will likely require further consultations or secondary legislation before coming into effect.
As a reminder, here are some of the changes:
- The introduction of a new Infrastructure Levy
- Removal of the Duty to Cooperate
- New approach to environmental assessments
- 10 years for LPAs to take enforcement action on all cases
- Streamlining the plan-making process
- Requirement for LPAs to have area-wide design codes
- Changes to the compulsory purchase order system
- Measures for LPAs to tackle slow build out by developers